Translate this website

History

Elm Court House was built in 1878 on top of huge stone foundations in the form of a quadrangle, it has 3 distinct courts and spacious verandas all around the building.

 

Including the two detached cottages, there are 32 sittings rooms, dining rooms and bedrooms besides servants hall & quarters, two kitchens, scullery, pantry, storeroom, dairy larder and lounges. Waites creek runs through the college grounds and provides water for the surrounding college gardens.

The Bowral Free Press advertised a new High School opening in February 1891. The Dominican Nuns of West Maitland purchased Elm Court to open an all girls school on the 2nd February 1891.

history 1
Dominican Convent School

Another Landmark building on the college grounds connects us to St Mary Mackillop, through the Josephite sisters who established a school in the Southern Highlands in the 1880’s, who had moved to a small building on the College grounds. It now serves as our Creative Arts Centre and stands as St Mary Mackillop House.

On the college grounds we are also lucky to have our beautiful chapel comprising of Marble Alter, high ceilings, seating for nearly 400 and architectural ambient natural lighting. In 2009 a terrible tragedy occurred, a fire broke out in the workshop below and badly damaged the chapel.  It is often said that every cloud has a silver lining, the restoration uncovered a beautiful mosaic beneath the burnt wooden floor, the statues were rebuilt, the chapel was repainted and new carpet laid. The chapel had been restored to original glory and re-consecrated by Bishop Peter Ingham.

In 1976 the Dominican School closed, two years later the College became the junior secondary campus of Chevalier College and continued to operate under Father John Franzmann. In early 1985, the Junior Campus joined Burradoo Chevalier College campus as it sits today.

The Sisters of St Paul de Chartres purchased the property on the 22nd October 1984.

Aurora College opened in January 1986, It’s motto Luz de Oriente – A light from the East but was later changed to Omnibus Omnia – All to All.

By 1990 there were over 200 students with St Josephs and St Mary’s boarding houses being established to provide a home away from home for our students.

1997 saw the arrival of Sister Angelina Fong, through her guidance the school changed its name from Aurora College to St Paul’s International College.

In the early 2000’s a need for more teaching space was apparent so by the end of 2003, E-Block was finished, new General Purpose teaching rooms, Computer Laboratories and AV Rooms.

2009 saw the completion of St Paul’s Boarding House and St Paul’s International College expanded to include Year 9 & Year 10.

A new milestone for St Paul’s International in 2012, accepting enrolments for Year 7 for the first time, who have now successfully moved into year 8.

Our long history gives us guidance for the coming years, we will continue to provide an excellence in modern education while maintaining high college values at our core.

St.Paul's International College

ST PAUL'S INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE
463 Argyle Street, Moss Vale
New South Wales, Australia 2577

CONTACT US
Ph: +61 2 4868 2211 fax: +61 2 4868 1610
info@spic.nsw.edu.au